Want to avoid the Freshmen 15? Well, one huge step that you can do to avoid the extra pounds is to eat healthy. below are some tips that will help you out!
- Eat a small meal every 3-5 hours.
- Eat breakfast within an hour after waking up
- Pick up a piece of fruit or a bagel from the cafeteria at dinner for breakfast the next morning.
- Eat breakfast on the way to class.
- Breakfast can include any type of food such as one slice of leftover pizza, sandwich, fruit, or a cereal bar.
- Avoid snacking throughout the day if you tend to overeat at night.
Make Healthy Meal Choices
- Wait until you have finished your meal before deciding on dessert; skip it if you feel full
- Include at least one serving of fruit and one serving of vegetables at lunch and dinner.
- Choose the healthiest meal options available.
Make Healthy Snack Choices
- Have low-calorie snacks available.
- Avoid eating a lot of “fat free” foods as they can be high in calories.
- Say “no” to vending machine junk food such as candy, chips, regular soda, sweetened tea, and fruit drinks.
- Avoid drinking large amounts of regular soda and other sweetened beverages.
- If you are of legal age, limit alcohol as it is high in calories
- Alternate each alcoholic beverage with water or seltzer.
- Dilute mixed drinks with water or seltzer.
- Never drink on an empty stomach.
Be Prepared for Emotional Eating
- Have lists of things you enjoy doing to replace eating when you are stressed, tired, upset, excited, or bored.
- Control the amount of “emotional” food you eat:
- - For the late night pizza cravings: limit yourself to 1-2 slices
- - Ask yourself if you are really hungry before deciding to eat.